Setting goals is important. Whether you’re goal setting for your business or personal life, clearly defining your goals will help you avoid confusion about what you want to achieve. It can also help you avoid stagnation, set you on a path of tremendous momentum, AND add intense purpose in your life!
It’s so easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle that is life. But I’m going to share with you my top five list of things (that you may not want to hear about) in order to set clear goals for success. Why wouldn’t you want to hear these tips?
Because once you’ve read these five important tips, you will have to take action … that is if you’re serious about improving your business and/or personal life.
🥁Here are five important tips to help you to define clear goals in your life🥁
🥁. Figure out exactly what it is you want to achieve. If you have no idea where you’re going, you can’t figure out a way to get there. What does that mean…
Once you figure out the achievement, you will be able to figure out actionable steps to take to get you there. Ask yourself:
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Take the time to sit down and brainstorm your long-term dreams and desires.
🥁. Set a deadline for you to reach your goals. By doing so, you will prevent procrastination and spur you on to action to meet your goals. Having a timeline for your goals also helps to clarify them because you know what you want and when you want it!
- Define goals that you want to meet in a month, year, and even five or ten years from now.
- Make a plan that will keep you on track; however, don’t etch your plan in stone! Allow for changes along the way, but keep your eye on the main goal.
🥁. Ask yourself if your goals are realistic or attainable. Avoid potentially stressing yourself out by setting your goals slightly outside of your reach. You don’t want to make it easy but you do want to almost guarantee that you’ll be able to achieve them, and you won’t stress yourself out trying to accomplish something that’s out of reach. A clear goal is a realistic one.
- Break your long-term goals into small, achievable action steps. Reaching multiple goals along your journey will give you a feeling of accomplishment and motivate you to continue.
🥁. Ciara taught us that you have to be specific in what you want. Clarify your goals with the details of exactly what you want. Use a visual or vision board, cut-out pics from a magazine and post to your fridge. I don’t care what you need to do but avoid vague generalities. When you make a specific goal, you’ll be better able to accomplish it.
- Specific goals allow you to form your timeline and define your action steps. There’s no guesswork involved when dealing with specifics.
- For example, “make more money with your business” is a vague goal. Come up with a specific goal, such as, “I will make $1,000 more per month, three months from today.” This goal is specific, measurable, and realistic.
🥁. Be open to changing and/or refining your goals. Your life may change and your 5 year goal may no longer be a desire of yours. Or maybe you’ve hit your target goal sooner than later. Either way, be open and less than critical if your goals require an overhaul. During this process, you’ll be able to make them more specific, realistic, and achievable.
- It’s okay to refine your goals several times in your life! What’s important now, might not be important to you six months or six years from now. Be willing to accept change. Revisit your goals from time to time and make new plans if necessary.
Some people flounder through life, unsure of their purpose or what they want to achieve. Don’t let this be you! Your life will have clear meaning if you put some thought into what’s important to you, what goals you want to achieve, and what actions to take to make your dreams a reality.
What goals have you set for 2019?