I’ve mentioned the importance of setting, writing, and tracking your business goals. If you’re new to the site, you may think I want you to do this because it’s easy to forget. Yes. But, there’s so much more to it. In fact, there are some very important reasons why you should get in the habit of doing so.
I want you to be successful not only in business, but in your personal and professional life, too. You’re going to need to balance the time you’re spending building your brand with all of your other obligations and that can get quite tricky.
So grab your favorite beverage, I’m having a cup of coffee, and read on as I share my thoughts on the importance of writing down your business goals
Writing goals down increases your chances of success!
I believe, that by simply setting a goal- it doesn’t matter if you’ve written it down or if it’s just in your mind- your chances of success automatically doubles. Can you imagine that? Now, if you write down your goals, you’ve increased your chances of success by 1,000%. That’s right! You’re 10x more likely to succeed at reaching your goal just by writing down your goal.
Somebody reading this just said in their mind, “How, Sway?”
Well, there are a few different mental & psychological processes going on here that start to give us a glimpse into why it’s so important and effective to write our goals down. Now, take me for example. I have what some consider to be a photographic memory. I can literally take a mental picture of anything and depending how interested I am, I can recall it. Yeah, folks who can’t do this say it cannot be done but my educational history says otherwise 🙂
Anywho, back to the point of this article.
Some of you may know that I am a #MomOfSix. I am also part of the senior leadership team at my 9 to 5. That means there’s a lot of data and thoughts and things darting around in my mind. Writing things down gives me a visual aid that helps me to remember when my brain gets overloaded.
*Visual Aids or Bust – The Motto*
It’s like your brain sees the info, recognizes it as important and retains most of the info … even if you get to where you’re going and realize that you don’t have the list. I mean, have you ever tried making a mental grocery list, wandering through the aisles picking out groceries, and when you get home you have 2 things from the list? And a bunch of stuff you didn’t need? #IssaStruggle #WhenTargetIsLife
As you move from a thought to written words on a page, information or data is being moved from one part of the brain to the other. They call this process encoding. Encoding helps you retain and store information better. I mean think about, if you’ve ever sat in a training or college lecture and you’ve had to take notes… same concept.
So, humor me. Try writing out that list first.
Last but not least, when you write down your goals, you have something you can review regularly. This adds another layer of cognitive processing and increases your chances of success even further. The downside is that, I’m not saying anything groundbreaking. You know this!
Well, that is If you’re being as honest with yourself… and as you should be… with regards to your goals. You should regularly set aside to review your life, career, family, personal, spiritual and financial goals!
Evaluate them critically!!!
Your focus should be on:
- What’s working?
- What’s not working?
- Noting the “something you can achieve later because maybe now is not the time” writeup.
- Documenting the “let’s replicate this methodology in another area because it may work” and keeping it close.
I mean I can go on and on….
Bottom line: There are other people, like me, who are just as passionate about their goals… I believe they’re some of the most successful and high achieving people out there. We should all aim to be our best. You should aim to Be Your Best. Because we may be your competition…
But don’t worry, I made another bullet list for you ⤵️ to help you get started tracking your business goals today:
- Start by setting smart goals.
- Write them down in as much detail as possible. Be specific!! My personal goal is because I’m rebranding to reflect my expanded mission and purpose I want to share my other knowledge base with my readers. My first eBook giving my 2cents on being an entrepreneur, my business strategies that led me on a successful 20 year career in Finance and Administration, and my unique perspective on life will be dropping soon. Along with a few products and services that will save you time and money! Two things I know you value as an entrepreneur or small business owner.
- Set aside some time to review them regularly. This could be weekly, or even daily. Give it a try for this coming quarter.
- Decide by when you’ll reach your goal and how you plan to get there.
- Look at it every morning.
This will help you stay in the habit of tracking your business goals and ultimately make real (and qualitative) progress towards your goal.
Just in case you missed my other posts on business planning, I’ve listed them ⬇️.
- Why the Next 6 Months of Business Planning Will Smash the Last 6
- Tracking Where You Are to Determine Where You Are Headed: Next Level -Ish!
- Traffic, Subscribers, and Customers. Oh My!
- Working Backwards. It Isn’t What It Seems!
As always, thank you for reading my 2cents. See you tomorrow, Day 6 <3